Friday, August 04, 2006

Why I Don't Think About the Meaning of Life

Hey folks. I had a lovely day today. This morning at work, the preschoolers went to the zoo, so we had a total of 6 kids with 4 teachers in the whole place. And I was with the babies, who are very easy. Unless they're hungry of course, and then I just feed them. One of our babies is 10 months old and he already weighs almost 30 lbs. I swear, that kid eats more than I do in a day. It's a good thing he's so adorable. The only unpleasant thing about work today was having to stay an extra half-hour to wait for a late parent. But I guess it's not so bad to get paid time and a half to watch 1 child.

I had my first guitar lesson last night. It was pretty good. My teacher seems nice. Don't ask me why I've started playing the guitar. I haven't been doing too great lately at practicing the instruments that I already play. But I just love listening to people play the guitar, so I thought I'd give it a shot. They really make you put your fingers in some awkward positions, though. I always thought that the violin felt unnatural to play, but it feels great compared to contorting my fingers on the guitar. Supposedly it gets easier. I'll let you know...

So maybe when you think of personal blogs you think of someone journaling their deepest thoughts and pondering their existence for all the world to see. Maybe you're wondering why I don't do this. Well, since I'm just dying to satisfy your curiosity, here are a couple reasons. First of all, I pretty much think it's the most boring thing ever to read the unrestrained, unedited ramblings of someone's brain, and I don't want to subject you to that pointless torture. And secondly, I just haven’t been doing much pondering lately. Why? Simply put, I am too addicted to my iPod. Sound ridiculous? That’s because it is. I am turning into one of those people who needs constant electronic stimulation. So I can’t do anything without having my computer or my iPod or the TV or anything that distracts me from thinking. Of course, I didn’t start listening to my iPod with the intention of escaping my thoughts, but lately I’ve found myself scrambling to fill every silent moment with some music or podcast or anything. I feel like I’m scared of what will happen if I have to be alone with myself… are my thoughts going to attack me? I suppose it’s very possible, and then I will have to face up to the way I’ve been living my life lately, which is not at all the way I want to be living. So in case you all didn’t notice, this is a problem. So here’s my solution… I’ll be taking a two week hiatus from my electronic stimuli. That means no computer, no iPod, no TV, no radio from 12 AM on Tuesday the 8th to 12 AM on Wednesday the 23rd. Can I do it? I guess we’ll find out…

Go ahead, re-read the previous paragraph, and take particular notice how I state at the beginning that I’m anti-pondering in blogs and then see me ponder away later in the paragraph. Inconsistency… it’s a wonderful thing. Ok, I have better things to be doing than rambling, like sleeping. Keeping with my theme of iPod addictions, stay tuned for a post about my all-time favorite podcasts tomorrow. Bye.

Your crazy rambling friend,
Dr. J

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I really enjoy reading your post.

11:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jill, you are a wonder.

6:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

jill.. the meaning and purpose of my life is to leave you messages on your blogs

9:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

=) -- you told me the meaning of your life was to listen to me complain in my times of woe!! Lies! All lies!

ps---who is coffe girl?

12:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home