Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Mute Math? More like blow-my-eardrums Math!

I went to a ridiculously loud rock concert on Monday night. And it was amazing. Now this wasn't just any old concert. We're talking about 100 people crammed into a little room about the size of my bedroom with a very small stage and 3 very loud bands. We're talking getting very close to band members and just a little too close to those very loud speakers (now you'll know what happened when I ask you to repeat yourself 57 times). So what made this the best concert I've ever seen? Let me tell you...

First up was a fairly new band called Jonezetta, and they sounded good. 2 guitars, 1 bass, 1 drummer... this looks like your typical rock band, but Jonezetta manages to sound very unique, a little angry at times, but great for dancing (or going deaf to, either way works). They brought some great energy to the stage, and they managed to be nice and funny without being cheesy. My favorite part? The guitarist Kyle Howe's wonderful mix of great playing, lack of facial expressions, and beautiful hair. You can listen to some of Jonezetta's songs on purevolume, and I highly encourage you to do just that.

Up next was The Whigs, who I'm not going to talk much about, because they weren't very good. The music wasn't too bad, but it lacked originality, and the lyrics seemed kind of pointless. And the guys seemed kind of boring. I've heard positive reviews of them, but I found The Whigs to be only mediocre.

However, all the mediocrity in the world couldn't have dampened the glory that was hearing Mute Math live. I haven't reviewed Mute Math yet (I will next week), but let it suffice for me to say that I am very much in love with this band. Their album is fantastic. Their live show was just as good as their album, but magnified about a million times. Was it loud? Yes. Were they crazy? Yes (think jumping on furniture, making plaster fall from the ceiling, sweat literally pouring off of them). Did they involve the crowd in a wonderful way? Yes. Were they genuine? Yes. Were they humble and absolutely incredible at the same time? Yes. Does Paul Meany play the keytar? Yes. Can Christians write excellent music that everyone can connect to? Mute Math has shown that the answer can be a resounding yes. The energy of this show was insane. And it was a beautiful thing, because these guys are writing beautiful, honest, original music. Please, if you ever get the chance, go see Mute Math. And go buy their album. Or just go listen to some songs on purevolume. If you have even remotely good taste in music, I assure you that you won't regret it.

Alrighty, folks, only one more concert left in concert week. But let's make the glory last... leave me a comment and let me know what your favorite concert has been. Or better yet, leave a voicemail at 203-437-4531 and tell me what your favorite concert has been. Who knows, maybe I will play your call on my pseudo-podcast, and a whopping 10 people will hear it. This just might be your chance to have 15 minutes of fame. Or, you know, 2 minutes, depending on how long your message is. Alright, I'll leave you to it. Bye for now!

Dr. J

PS - Check back tomorrow for an amazing live Mute Math video (not my own video, just like those aren't my pictures, but who said stolen stuff can't be amazing?)!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Poor eardrums. I have so much ear protection around the house, why didn't you take something? Silly Jilly.

4:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home