Friday, September 08, 2006

Technology Talk

Bonjour, mes amis. I hope you are doing well. I know my posts have been really long and drawn out lately, so I'll try to keep them shorter. Today I want to talk a little bit about the word technology. Lately, most of the people I know, including myself quite frequently, use the word technology when we really mean electronics. We say technology to refer to our computers and cell phones and digital cameras, when really the word technology has a much broader meaning. My American Heritage Dictionary actually does define technology partially as "electronic or digital products and systems considered as a group," and the Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary defines technology as "the practical application of knowledge". The easiest way to explain technology is this: technology is the way humans use the resources available to meet their needs. This means that technology has always been around, and that it changes constantly. The "technological evolution" of mankind includes everything from making primitive tools, preparing food, and harnessing wind and water as energy forms to building cars and creating cell phones. The idea of defining technology as machinery began very recently with the industrial revolution in England, and has evolved as we have created more advanced forms of machine technology. Even now, our technology is not just computers and digital cable; you use modern technology when you do laundry or flush the toilet. So you don't necessarily need to stop calling you electronics technology, just be aware that you are using a very narrow definition of the term and know the roots and full meaning of the word. Thanks for your time and your brains, folks. I'm off to exercise mine with some homework, because I'm a slacker and haven't done any in the last 5 days. Alrighty, have a great day!

Your word-loving doctor,
Jill

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are not a slacker, no way. You never stop. Thanks for the language lesson. So when I say I work for a high tech company, that is not really corrent I guess. I should say I work for a telecommunications company. OK.

6:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home